Giving a talk on Unstructured work and coping strategies of low-status online workers at University of Vienna Sociological Lectures series on 7 January
We’re recruiting a researcher to the OII to do fieldwork on virtual work in Southeast Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa - apply by 13 December!
Greetings! From May 1st, I am a Research Fellow at the Oxford Internet Institute.
In my research, I examine the social and economic dimensions of new information technologies around the world. My particular areas of expertise are virtual goods, virtual currencies and digital labour. My book Virtual Economies: Design and Analysis (with Edward Castronova) is forthcoming from MIT Press.
I have advised various companies and organizations in Europe, United States and Japan, including Rovio (Angry Birds), CCP Games (EVE Online) and the World Bank.
Virtual Economists Ltd - my consulting and market research practice
Amimaru - a startup I co-founded that serves fans of digital Japanese pop culture
Virtual Economy Research Network - a platform for research collaboration and dissemination I co-founded in 2006
LinkedIn profile - my work history
TASO 131 - a game I created as a hobby project in the 1990s
- Virtual goods and currencies
- Lehdonvirta, V. (2012) Designing Successful Virtual Currency by Breaking (Almost) Every Rule in the Economics Textbook, lecture given at Game Developers Conference 2012, San Francisco, March 5-9.
- Lehdonvirta, V. (2009) Virtual Item Sales as a Revenue Model: Identifying Attributes that Drive Purchase Decisions. Electronic Commerce Research, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 97-113. presentation slides
- Lehdonvirta, V., Wilska, T.-A. & Johnson, M. (2009) Virtual Consumerism: Case Habbo Hotel. Information, Communication & Society, vol. 12, no. 7, pp. 1059-1079.
- Lehdonvirta, V. (2009) Virtual Consumption. Publications of the Turku School of Economics, A-11:2009.
- Lehdonvirta, V. (2005) Virtual Economics: Applying Economics to the Study of Game Worlds. Proceedings of the 2005 Conference on Future Play (Future Play 2005), Lansing, Michigan, October 13-15.
- Digital work and payments
- Lehdonvirta, V. and Ernkvist, M. (2011) Knowledge Map of the Virtual Economy. Washington DC: World Bank. presentation slides
- Lehdonvirta, V., Soma, H., Ito, H., et al. (2009) UbiPay: Minimizing Transaction Costs with Smart Mobile Payments. Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Mobile Technology, Application & Systems (Mobility 2009), Nice, France, September 2-4. New York: ACM. demonstration video
- Liu, Y., Lehdonvirta, V., Kleppe, M., et al. (2010) A Crowdsourcing Based Mobile Image Translation and Knowledge Sharing Service. Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Multimedia (MUM 2010), Limassol, Cyprus, December 1-3. presentation slides
- Lehdonvirta, V. (2010) Getting paid to party: what is the difference between work and play? Microtask blog.
- Persuasive technology and gamification
- Nakajima, T., & Lehdonvirta, V. (2013) Designing Motivation Using Persuasive Ambient Mirrors. Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 107-126. demonstration video 1 demonstration video 2
- Hamari, J. & Lehdonvirta, V. (2010) Game Design as Marketing: How Game Mechanics Create Demand for Virtual Goods. Int. Journal of Business Science and Applied Management, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 14-29.
- Yamabe, T., Lehdonvirta, V., Ito, H., et al. (2009) Applying Pervasive Technologies to Create Economic Incentives that Alter Consumer Behavior. Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Ubiquitous Computing (Ubicomp 2009), Orlando, Florida, September 30-October 3. New York: ACM, pp. 175-184.
- Digital law and policy
- Lehdonvirta, V. & Virtanen, P. (2010) A New Frontier in Digital Content Policy: Case Studies in the Regulation of Virtual Goods and Artificial Scarcity. Policy & Internet, vol. 2, no. 3, art. 2.
- Lehdonvirta, V. & Räsänen, P. (2011) How do young people identify with online and offline peer groups? A comparison between UK, Spain and Japan. Journal of Youth Studies, vol. 14, no. 1., pp. 91-108.
- Lehdonvirta, V. (2008) The Virtual Tax Question. Virtual Economy Research Network.
- Lehdonvirta, V. (2004) European Union Data Protection Directive: Adequacy of Data Protection in Singapore. Singapore Journal of Legal Studies, vol. , no. [Dec], pp. 511-546.
See my full list of publications